Anything that has stood the test of time must hold some deeply transformative powers. This is especially so for the Solstices, which happen twice per year—Summer and Winter Solstice. Today marks the Winter Solstice, which has been celebrated by cultures around the world since ancient times. It’s the shortest day of the year and the longest night, signifying a time for us to go within and embrace our own darkness.
The theme of Winter Solstice is HOPE—the possibility of creating change even through our own obstacles. A beautiful quote that embodies the essence of Winter Solstice and to remember in times of darkness is by the master of Kundalini Yoga, Yogi Bhajan: “Hope of not a prediction for the future. It’s a declaration of what’s possible.” And even in the moments where we feel hopeless to always remember that even in the word hopeless lies HOPE. There is no challenge that we cannot overcome—it all takes a decision to embrace our obstacles and find a way to break through. And usually, if we’re honest with ourselves and look at our challenges objectively (i.e. write them down on paper and look at them like a business strategy) we always can find at least one action step we can take that will get us a little closer to our goals and over the hurdles we are facing.
Coupled with the last Full Moon of the year occurring on December 22nd, this is a powerful portal to get clear on the changes you want to make for 2019. On the night of the Solstice, take time to perform this grounding ritual to gain clarity on your desires, set goals for your dreams, and create a plan of action of what to do when obstacles arise.
- Safely light a candle or two and create a sacred space to perform your Winter Solstice ritual.
- Sage yourself and the room to clear and purify the space so you are operating from energetic space of clarity and clearing out any negativity.
- In your journal answer the following questions:
- Where am I now? (Write from a space of your limiting stories, frustrations, and blocks)
- Where do I want to be? (Write from the perspective as if it’s already happened)
- Who do I need to become in order to accomplish this? (Disciplined, vibrant, energized, confident... what comes to mind?)
- What obstacles do I face in getting from where I am now to where I want to be?
- What habits do I need to create in order to support this new vision?
- What do I need to let go of? (Laziness, procrastination, fear...list them all and close your eyes, watching each melt away from you.)
- What am I most excited about to see this Vision come to life? What will it give me?
- When you’re finished, close your journal and your eyes and spent at least five minutes visualizing your new life as if you have accomplished your goals + dreams and overcome all the obstacles that currently stand in your way. It should feel so good you can’t help but smile.
To end, thank the Universe for this clarity and express gratitude for the manifestations that are about to come your way.
With this clarity you can begin to develop excitement and inspiration to create the most profound changes for 2019 and beyond. We hope you enjoy this ritual and have a happy Solstice!