Our new Bakuchiol Retinol Alternative Smoothing Serum includes the PHA (poly-hydroxy acid) ingredient glucono delta lactone. This crystalized version of gluconic acid occurs naturally in things like honey, kombucha, and red wine. Known in particular for its helpfulness in healing pigmentation concerns, we love this PHA especially for its powerful effects that come without irritation, and its friendliness to everyday use.
PHAs function similarly to other natural chemical exfoliants such as AHAs (alpha-hydroxy acids) and BHAs (beta-hydroxy acids), but with special characteristics that set them apart as coveted skincare darlings:
- Exfoliation is important in preserving youth and repairing damage, but many chemical exfoliants are too powerful for daily use. PHAs are completely non-irritating and gentle enough for everyday application, even by those who are pregnant or breastfeeding, and those with sensitive skin, eczema, and rosacea. PHA molecules are larger than AHA and BHA molecules, working exclusively on the surface of the skin without disturbing its delicate integrity. Also, unlike AHAs, PHAs do not run the risk of increasing the skin’s sensitivity to the sun.
- PHAs are humectants, meaning they attract moisture. In the case of Bakuchiol Smoothing Serum, PHAs along with plumping tremella mushroom translates to bouncy hydration, and a dewy, bright complexion!
- PHAs fight inflammation, which is a leading cause of aging. In tandem with ingredients like blueberry stem cells, PHAs in Bakuchiol Smoothing Serum encourage age-defying skin health, especially when used daily over time.
- PHAs are antioxidants, meaning they work to remove impurities that prevent the skin from breathing properly. This function helps in preventing blemishes, dullness, and enlarged pores.
- When used on a regular basis over time, PHAs strengthen the barrier function of the skin, slowing the aging process and fighting against everyday stressors.
Incorporate our gentle-yet-effective Bakuchiol Retinol-Alternative Smoothing Serum into your daily skincare routine for a dose of PHAs that help to prevent against and repair discoloration, fine lines, wrinkles, inflammation, and dullness, among other concerns.